Blog Gallery

Friday, January 1, 2010

welcoming 2010: living in a dream world

Please click to enlarge or you will miss the full flavor.


On New Year's Eve at about 6:30, I heard some chanting on the street. Now what?, I thought. Since San Jorge is a very noisy street, I almost ignored it. However, when I peeked out of my bedroom window, I was awestruck  There beneath me was a glorious Felliniesque moment (he always seems to have a presence here when colorful, unusual things happen.)

I saw a  procession with beautiful torches, many old women carrying candles, a beautiful santo encased in a glass "cage' surrounded by red velvet  carried by clergy in full dress. In short, a photographer's dream.

There is an old photography saying: by the time you see it, it's too late. I figured I would just post a blank picture and describe what could have been. But that deep creative spirit that will never let me rest, spoke up and said:"You idiot. What are you waiting for? Grab your camera and go forth and find them." And so I did.

 I located them a few blocks away and followed them. Altars were set up in various locations on streets around the colonia (hood). They were lovely, with white flowers and white curtain backdrops on tables outside of a home or tienda. Overhead, white and yellow decorations were strung from one side of the street to the other. The magic was enhanced by the glow from muted street lights, candles, and beautiful brass and glass lanterns. and the heady aroma of copal incense.

As I approached the procession, people were in the midst of a prayer...everyone on their knees on the hard, uneven rocks of the street. One thing I have learned from following the rituals of my neighborhood: the Catholics of Mexico must have tough knees.Out of respect, I got on my knees as I tried to capture this beauty...but could hardly stand the pain so instead I did a half knee thing. No matter: the experience was magical...like being thrust into a world beyond time.

Later I will post San Miguel's answer to Times Square. Right now, it's time for yet another party. Would you believe?

0 comments: