Blog Gallery

Sunday, January 31, 2010

baptism day

Baptism   Click to Enlarge
Rosa, my muchacha (more friendly term for maid, I think) asked me to come to take photographs of her third baby's baptism. It happened last night at 7 pm in the San Antonio Church. I had no idea what to expect. It was a day with lots of ups and downs for me. My camera developed a problem and I had two "assignments": one for a cabaret singer who needed a publicity shot for a performance to raise money for Haiti and secondly, the baptism.

In Church   Click to Enlarge

First thing in the morning I discovered that the lens I wanted to use wasn't working on my main camera body. It's a long-winded story but the long and short is that I went ahead with everything with a backup camera. I was able to do both jobs but it threw me into high anxiety mode and made me question whether I wanted to continue photographing. Today I feel better about it all.

These photographs are my bonus for pushing myself to go to Belen's bautismo (not pictured until Rosa sees them first). An aside: Belen means Bethlehem in Spanish. She was born right before Navidad (Christmas).

0 comments: