Blog Gallery

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

meet señor duende

Click to enlarge
This impish looking creature swinging from the limb of a tree is a duende. I first heard the term several years ago in the context of a discussion about the arts."And what," I asked, "is a duende?" The answer I got was: "Well, it's a kind of a force that's difficult to explain." My confusion only grew greater when I researched the term and was led to this treatise by the Spanish poet, Federico Garcia Lorca.

Well, lo and behold, yesterday while I was visiting Candelaria, our annual plant and flower festival, I was delighted when I saw this irrestible little terracotta figure swinging from the limb of a small tree. And there were more crawling on branches and sunning themselves in the potting soil covering the  plants' roots. Adorable!

When I looked down, I was greeted with a hand-lettered sign that read: Duendes. 40 pesos or 3 for 100 pesos (about $9.00 U.S.). Well here was my explanation at last. Duendes. I couldn't believe it. And so I snatched up three including Senor above in the picture. All three are now happily ensconced in their new home in the ficus tree on the rooftop terrace. I am so enthralled with them, I may have to go back and get some others to keep them company.

As for a clearer explanation of who they are, here is the latest that I found. And here is a clearer explanation of the duende's role in the arts. And speaking of the arts, I shall use their magical powers to inspire me in the production of the next slide show now in the works.

0 comments: