Blog Gallery

Friday, February 12, 2010

living in parallel universes

All week Baltimore has been having the biggest blizzard of a lifetime with snowfall over 20" last weekend. It stopped long enough for people to look around and begin digging out only to be hit again two days later, this time not only with serious accumulations of snow, but fierce winds as well.

Meanwhile here in San Miguel during part of that time, we were experiencing the worst cold, rain and flooding that people say they can remember in fifteen years for this time of year. Now the sun is out again, but, still, in the back of my mind I have been concerned about family, friends and my beloved home on Dover Street.

Annette, my wonderful next door neighbor there, posted a photo on Facebook so I could see what it looked like during the blizzard. Annette's house is the one trimmed in turquoise and mine is the tan one next to it. Thanks so much Annette. I could just feel the snow and cold all the way down here.

At the same time, the photograph below is the view today from my rooftop here on Calle San Jorge. With my eyes I look out and see the beautiful mountains and am transfixed and, in the same moment, in my mind I am simultaneously experiencing the snow in Baltimore. Where does reality really exist?

0 comments: